Monday, February 23, 2009

French Toast Casserole

Here is the recipe for the casserole that I made yesterday for Sunday School:

white or wheat bread
cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup maple syrup

Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan with butter. Tear bread into small pieces and layer across the bottom of the pan. Break the cream cheese into small chunks and place on top of the bread. Place another layer of bread pieces on top of the cream cheese layer. Pour sugar on top of this layer, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Mix eggs, milk and syrup in a bowl and beat with a whisk. When well mixed, pour over the top of casserole. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, place on the counter for 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered. Then cover and bake for 25 minutes. When you remove from the oven, place butter on top of hot casserole, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

It can be topped with fruit if desired. I don't know the exact amount of bread or cream cheese because I don't use what the recipe calls for. It's less than a loaf of bread and I usually use less than half of the 8 oz. cream cheese. It's also really easy to half for an 8x8 casserole dish!

No comments: